Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wade in the Water

I have been reading this morning about a TED talk that was not put on the website because the topic was of a partisan nature.   I would like to start off by mentioning that I definitely respect TEDs efforts to not be partisan.  I have also not seen this talk (I am at work now, or I would try and find it or a transcript of it), so I cannot really say much about it.  This censorship may be a gross injustice to the speaker, or perhaps the talk was a hack job full of pigeon holes and ad hominems, or more likely it is somewhere in between.  I can't really say. 

Here is my question, how can one reasonably stay non-partisan when one side clearly rejects reason? For example, global warming is a partisan issue much of the time.   Basic human rights are also often a partisan issue.   Once again, I don't want to accuse TED of too much, and I do admire people who try to remain above the fray of politics, but if you are afraid to ever wade into those waters, you run the risk of losing the ability to say anything at all.

Update: I watched the talk. You can find it on YouTube.  I didn't see anything scandalizing.  Interesting, yes.  Scandalizing, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment