Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby factory

Today I read about an article on Project Reason.  I say I read about it because the Wall Street Journal requires a subscription to read some content, and I try to avoid giving News Corp. money whenever I can.  The excerpts I read (one at PR the other at WSJ) suggested that some conservative lawmakers are trying to make the issue of gay marriage an issue of religious freedom.  Anyhow, as I mentioned, I couldn't read the whole article so I can't say too much about it, but it did get me thinking about a couple of things. 

The main thing I started thinking about was the definition of marriage as an institution designed to produce and raise babies.  Let me be clear, if that is what you think marriage is about, or that is what your marriage is about, I am not saying that you are wrong.  That is often a religious point of view, but it doesn't have to be.  I am not criticizing people who think that way.  I am criticizing people who expect other people to think the same way.  Providing a good environment to raise children is a definition of marriage, but it is not the only definition of marriage.  Even if somehow you could go back a hundred thousand years (or so) and prove definitively that the first man and the first woman walking the plains of Africa got married and the only reason for it was so that they could more effectively raise children, to suggest that in modern society we must stick exclusively and strictly to that ancient definition would be asinine.  People get married for many different reasons, and I think it is quite presumptuous to tell any married couple what their relationship is about.  What if they don't want children?  What if they are infertile?  What if they are elderly?  Should we deny the right to marry to them as well?  In this case, it seems strange and dishonest to say that a woman and a sterile man who love each other can get married, but two men or two women who love each other cannot.

I am tired of this subject.  It is a silly waste of time that one day we will look back on and uncomfortably explain to future generations.  *sigh*

Incidentally, I wanted to learn a little more about some Christian ideas about marriage and I found some interesting links, which I have included here:

Biblical Definition of Marriage

Christian Marriage

and an L.A. Times article by a "liberal"

That passage from Romans 13 was especially revealing.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. While marriage for the reasons of love and happiness is a fairly modern invention, there is no question that it has become the driving motivator for marriage today. Given that America recognizes the inherent right of every individual to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," I believe it has a moral obligation to insure it provides equal access to marriage for all.

    More on the history of marriage for love:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200505/marriage-history

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie Coontz wrote a book on this that I can't wait to read. I love her work. It's called Marriage, a History: From Obedience to Intimacy, or How Love Conquered Marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jo-z I would like to check that out. When I read your comment, it reminded me of an excellent book that I read in college called "The Way We Never Were", which I have just remembered (with the help of google) was also written by Stephanie Coontz.

    ReplyDelete